Heirloom: Home of the Holiday’s Most Festive Cocktails
If you’re looking for a classy spot to grab after-work drinks or in need of a festive cocktail recipe to serve at your next holiday gathering, then you’ve come to the right place. From pear-infused spiced rye to a barrel-aged black manhattan, make a toast to the holiday season with these delicious festive cocktails designed by Ismael Jimenez, the Head Mixologist at Heirloom in downtown New Haven.
‘Fall Behind’ Cocktail:
Inspired by the taste and feel of the autumn season, Ismael Jimenez, Head Mixologist at Heirloom, created the ‘Fall Behind’ cocktail. Take a seat at the bar at Heirloom in downtown New Haven during the fall and winter seasons to try this festive cocktail, or craft the cocktail at home with this easy-to-follow recipe.
Ingredients + Instructions
- Pear Infused Spiced Rye – 1 oz
- 1 bottle of Redemption Rye (or rye of your choice)
- 2 skin-on pears
- 8 cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1-2 star anise
- Pour all of the ingredients into a jar or bottle with a lid and let it age for at least 1 week.
- Antica Formula Vermouth – 1 oz
- Aperol – 1 oz
- Lemon Juice – ½ oz
Ismael’s expert tip: I recommend letting everything sit with all the spices for a week before separating the ingredients and leaving you with a beautiful fall-smelling spirit! Measure all the ingredients in a mixing glass (or shaker) and strain it over ice in a rock’s glass. Garnish with orange peel or a dehydrated pear!
Barrel-Aged Black Manhattan:
Putting an extra twist on a classic cocktail, Ismael elevates the flavor profile of the barrel-aged black manhattan by aging it in a barrel for a whole month. It’s just the thing you need when you’re in the mood for something sophisticated with uniquely enhanced flavors. Try out this barrel-aged black manhattan at your next holiday gathering with the following recipe.
Ingredients + Instructions
- High West Double Rye – 2 oz
- Amaro Averna – 1 oz
- Luxardo bitters – 2 dashes
- Angostura bitters – 2 dashes
- 3 Ounce pour from the barrel and add 2 dashes of each bitters
How to Barrel Age the Black Manhattan:
- 8 750ml Bottles of Rossville Union Straight Rye (you can use your rye of choice)
- 3 Liter bottles of Amaro Averna (if you can’t find Averna, Amaro Ramazotti is a great alternative!)
- Pour all 9 Liters worth of spirits into the barrel and let the barrel do its job!
Ismael’s expert tip: The barrel I used is a 10 Liter barrel, but you can find a 3 Liter and a 5 Liter online. I recommend following the instructions on how to season a barrel so it doesn’t leak any of that good spirit inside! Check the barrel every week and taste the beautiful aging process that comes out of the wood. After the aging is done just measure 3 ounces into a mixing glass and stir (no shaking for spirits!) and serve it over a chilled martini/coupe glass. Garnish with a Maraschino Cherry or Orange Peel!